- A heraldic heiress is the daughter of an armiger whose brothers or whose brothers' lines have all died out,
- A daughter can become an heiress long after her death, by the deaths of her brothers and their issue,
- All heraldic heiress sisters are equal and are called 'co-heirs',
- A sister whose brothers have only had daughters is not an heiress, those daughters are the heirs to their fathers,
- Heraldic heiresses need not have any money, they can be paupers,
- Heraldic heiresses must have fathers who have coats of arms, otherwise they are not heraldic heiresses.