1. Sir John Ramskill Twisden, The Family of Twysden and Twisden, John Murray, ed C H Dudley Ward, DSO, MC, 1939, 1st Edn.
2. G E C et al, Complete Peerage.
3. James Lees-Milne, Beningbrough Hall, National Trust.
4. Ed Athur Searle, The Barrington Family Letters (1628-1632), Royal Historical Society, Camden 4th series, vol 28, 1983.
6. Unknown, Early History of the St John Family, The Mitre Press, 1st.
7. College of Arms, "Powys-Lybbe pedigree," 1920s and 1996, Source of main quarterings. Has a few errors..
8. Martin Powys-Lybbe, The Powys-Lybbes, Privately, with a copy in SOG, 1996, 2nd.
Martin's Magnum Opus to verify from original contemporary sources all that he could of our forebears and of the old family records.
First published within the family in c.1984.
Deposited with the London Society of Genealogists.
In 1999, still being revised.
9. Reginald Cecil Lybbe Powys-Lybbe, Powys-Lybbe genealogy.
These are the various documents he left behing summarising his researches. They included:
(1) His master tree of all families married by our forebears.
(2) His formal pedigree of the Powyses, in the style of Burke.
(3) His two pages of trees of various descents from medieval royalty, including the Trotters back to the Scottish Stewarts.
(4) His trees of the recent Trotter marriages.
Remarkably most of this has proved to be confirmed by publicly available documents and some of it is a remarkable set of findings. One or two errors have appeared, mainly where he got the wrong wife as the ancestor. Perhaps only 20% of this remains to be checked, principally the families married into by the Trotters in the 18th and 19th centuries.
However his besetting and frustrating fault is his almost invariable omission of sources and similarly of dates.
I suspect he relied heavily on Burke's Extinct Peerage, judging by the heavily thumbed copy in APL's possession in 1999. But there is also evidence that went to various libraries and paid handsomely for primary documentary evidence of some 16th and 17th century families.
Nevertheless most of my work has been to extend and verify his enormous efforts. He really was a serious genealogist (like Martin but who follows the stricter regime of the last quarter of the 20th century) and I have considerable admiration for what he found out.
10. Ruvigny, Plantagenet Roll, NEHGS, 1994 reprint.
11. Mrs Philip Lybbe Powys, Passages from the Diaries of Mrs Philip Lybbe Powys, Longmans, Green & Co, Emily Climenson, 1899.
12. Grace Holmes, The Order of the Garter, its Knights and Stall Plates, Windsor Castle, Canon John A White, Historical Monographs No 16, 1984.
13. Major A A Greenwood, Greenwoods over three continents.
14. "Annual Reports of the Friends of Lydiard Tregoze," 1 to 29, 1969 onwards.
15. Michael L Walker, "A History of the Manor of Batailles," Surrey Archaeological Collections of 1956.
16. Sir John Maclean, Memoirs of the Family of Poyntz, J Marion Bryant & Ronny Bodine, Reprinted 1983.
17. Douglas, Peerage of Scotland.
18. The Scots Peerage, Sir James Balfour Paul, Lord Lyon King of Arms, David Douglas, 1907.
19. Rev Mark Noble, The Protectorate House of Cromwell, 1784 and 1787.
20. Rev William Beetham, The Baronetage of England, Longman, 1 to 5, 1801.
21. G E Cokayne, Baronetage, pub Pollard, 1900 on, 5 vols.
22. Burke, Landed Gentry, various.
23. Bill Meux, The Meux Family, Vols 1 and 2 (3 in preparation), 1990 et seq.
24. The Coltness Collections, The Maitland Club, 1842.
25. James Paterson, History of the County of Ayr, Robert Stewart of Paisley, 2, 1852.
27. Edinburgh Parish Record of Marriages, 1595-1700, Scottish Record Society, Henry Paton, 1905.
28. Le Neve, Knights, Harleian Society.
29. Dictionary of National Biography, 1st Edn, Ed leslie Stephen et al, (Various - see each article), Oxford University Press, 1885 to 1900, c. 50 Vols.
30. Visitation of Essex, Harleian Society.
31. Collectanea Topographica Genealogica.
32. "The Blagraves and Blagroves," Ian Blagrove, 1994.
33. Soc.Gen.Med, Ed Mann.
34. Soc.Gen.Med, Leo Van Der Pas.
35. J R Twisden, "Pedigree of Saunders of Ewell," Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica 5th series, vol VIII, pp. 109-118, 1932-34.
36. "Ancestry of Rev Hawte Wyatt," 24 Dec 1998, Steven C Perkins, SPerkin@RCI.Rutgers.EDU.
37. J R Twisden, "The Ancestors of Sir Henry Wiat," Miscellanea Genealogica and Heraldica, 5th series, Vol 8, Dec 1932.
38. "Eve of Leinster and Radnaillt of Dublin," Stewart Baldwin, 26.2.98, Published on Soc.Genealogy.Medieval.
39. UK Census.
40. England BMD Index.
41. "Medical Directory," 1946.
42. "Crockfords Clerical Directory."
43. "Cantab students."
44. Soc.Gen.Med, Henry Sutcliffe (& Faris).
45. Sir John R Twisden, "Pedigree of 1679," Miscellanie Heraldica & Genealogice VIII, 3, March 1933.
46. Francis Pierrepont Barnard (MA D Litt Oxon, FSA), "The Kinship of Henry VIII and his wives," Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldics, 5th series, volume 3.
47. Burke, Commoners of Great Britain & Ireland, 1834-1838.
48. David Faris, Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th C Colonists, N E H G S, 2nd.
49. Rev Charles Coates, History of Reading, Rev C Coates, 1st, 1802.
50. Ian Poyntz, "Genealogies," Aug 99, Poyntz.
51. Johnson Atkinson Busfeild, Fragments of Bingley parish, Privately printed by Henry Gaskarth, Bradford in 1875, only 1.
The full title:
relating to the
History of Bingley Parish
Its ancient church and the Ryshforth chapel
Busfeilds of Ryshforth and Upwood
Ferrands of Skipton, Harden Grange, and St Ives
biographical notices, with other genealogical particulars.
Compiled from "Thoresdby's Ducatues Leodienses" (1715), Whitaker's "History of the
Deanery of Craven", Burke's "History of the Commoners", Foster's "Pedigrees of Yorkshire Families"
and private family records
Illustrated by engravings and numerous family portraits
52. Joan A Carew Richardson, "Beddington Carews," 8th Sept 1999, T F Powys-Lybbe.
53. Newmarket, Birth Certificate.
The birth certificate of Eliza Bartholomew, initially discovered on the 1881 census as bron in Newmarket.
54. "Re Bowkers," 1999 on, TFPL's.
Letters from Rose Hay, grand-daughter of Claude Herbert Bowker.
55. "Bowkers GEDCOM," Oct 1999, Rose Hay.
56. BMD Certificates for UK.
57. "Letters from Ethel Powys," 1999-, TFPL.
58. Liz Carter, "1999 Bart/Seal investigation."
59. "Letters from John Templeton," TFPL's.
60. Ronny O Bodine & Brother Thomas W Spalding Jr, The Ancestry of Dorothea Poyntz, Bodine & Spalding.
61. "Letters from Derek Elliott," 1999/2000, TFPL's.
62. Leo D M van de Pas, Royal Ancestor - Edward III, Leo D M van de Pas, 1st c. 2000.
63. Burke, Baronetcies of England, Scotland & Wales, Burke., 19th cent.
64. "Christopher Seal," Jan 2000 on, on the PC..
65. The Committee of Privileges of House of Lords, Baronies of Montacute and Monthermer Peerage Claim, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1929.
66. Samuel Thompson (Windsor) & Augustine Vincent (Rougecroix), The Visitation of Surrey, 1623, privately in 25 copies, Joseph Jackson Howard, LlD.
67. IGI, Salt Lake City (thru internet).
68. "The History of the Barrington Family," William Clayton, G Alan Lowndes MA, TEAS, Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, New Series, 1876 on.
69. R J Beevor, Hastings of Hastings, (privately printed), 1st.
70. H W King, "Excepts from Ancient Wills," Transactions of Essex Archaeological Society, Vol II, pp 55 to 67, pub 1884.
Includes a significant section on Thmasine Barrington, nee Totham
71. "RCLP-L's testament of c.1925."
72. Parish Register of BMDs.
73. Stewart Baldwin, Soc.genealogy.medieval.
74. Soc.genealogy.medieval, Paul C Reed.
76. "Peerage & Baronetage," "Burke".
77. "Robert O'Connor's Genealogies," Robert O'Connor.
78. "The Family of Lucas," Louise Cecilia Bazalgette Lucas LUCAS, 1866, Original is in Society of Genealogists, beautifully illustrated.
79. "Powys Lineage," Ellen Anna Philippa POWYS (1835-aft1888), 1888, Dedicated to RCL P-L.
80. "Burke's Extinct Peerages," Burke, c.1880, Can be dodgy for older entries..
81. "From Paul Lightfoot," July 00 on.
82. "Valda Shrimpton," Aug 2000 on.
83. "Brides and Daughters," C G Briscoe, 2000, Published privately, the story of the veil.
84. "Re St Johns," Aug 22 2000.
85. "From Barney Tyrwhitt-Drake," 16 Sept 2000, PL Forbears.
86. "Braose," Mar 2000, Doug Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
87. LDS Vital records, British Isles.
88. Alice Fairfax-Lucy, Charlecote & the Lucys, Victor Gollancz, 1990, original was 1958.
89. "Magna Carta Society," 2000.
91. Worthies of Barnsley.
92. Philip Wright, Monumental Inscriptions of Jamaica, Soc of Genealogists, London, 1966.
MI's of Canaan (Masemure estate), Mausoleum
93. Bucks Visitations 1634, Harleian Society.
94. Pedigree of the Chaworth Family, William Flower, Norroy K of Arms, 1581.
95. "Irish PC will abstracts," John Betham, c.1802.
96. Alumni Cantabriensis, late 19th cent?
97. Daily Telegraph, 26 Aug 1992.
98. Soc.Gen.Med, Doug Richardson.
99. Soc Gen Med, Chris Phillips.
100. Wells & Hind, solicitors, Baronies of Beauchamp and Morduant Peerage Claim, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1929.
101. Soc.Gen.Med, Ronny O Bodine.
102. Scots Origins, Scotland.
103. Soc.gen.med, Tod A Farmerie.
104. "Prosographical Newsletter," 1995 on, Various.
105. A H Cooke, Rev, The Early History of Mapledurham, Oxford Record Society, 1925.
106. A H Cooke, Rev, Hardwick's Early History, Privately printed, I think., c. 1926.
107. "Surrey Archaeological Collections," XLIII, 1935.
108. "Miscellania Genealogica et Heraldica," Ed: (Mostly) Joseph Hackson Howard.
109. Visitation of Northants, 1564, Harleian Soc ?
110. Major J Beach Whitmore, Shropshire Pedigrees, (none, a manuscript).
111. Ed Bysshe, Visitation of Oxford 1669-75, Harleian Society, G D Squibb, 1993.
112. Northamptonshire Families, Victoria County History,, Archibald Constable & Co Ltd, Oswald Barron FSA, Pub 1906.
113. Visitations of Cornwall: 1530, 1573 & 1620, Lt-Col J L Vivian, Wm Pollard & Co, Exeter, 1887.
114. Armorial Families, A C Fox-Davies, 7th, 1929, Hurst & Blackett Ltd, (2 vols).
115. Ellen Anne Philippa Powys, Powys Family History, (manuscript), c.1888.
116. Westminster Abbey.
As quoted by Col Joseph L Chester in his "Marriage, Baptismal and Burial Registers of Westminster Abbey" pub 1886.
117. soc.gen.med, Dave (UTZ).
118. "Gentlemen's Magazine."
119. The House of Nevill (De Nova Villa), Henry J Swallow, Griffith, Farran & Co, 1st, 1885.
120. "Pen & Pencil Pictures of Old Bradford", 1890.
121. Medieval, John Ravilous.
122. "Notes on the Ancestry of Sanchia de Ayala," Nat Taylor & Todd Farmerie, New England Historical & Genealogical Review, Jan 1998.
123. Arthur H Plaisted (Rev), The Manor and Parish Records of Medmenham, Bucks, Longmans, Green & Co, 1925.
124. Anon, De Obsessione Dunelmi.
Written in the late 11th or early 12th century. Orginal manuscript is lost, but a single copy survives which has been printed (in Laten) in "Symeonis monachie opera omnia" (Rolls Series 75), ed. T. Arnold, 1882-5, 1:215-220.
Ex inform Ray Phair on soc.genealogy.medieval on 18 Aug 2001.
126. Foster, Alumni Oxonienses, pub 1882.
128. Testamenta Vetusta, Ed Nicholas Harris Nicolas, Nichols & Son, 1826.
129. Stemmata Chicheleana, OUP, 1765.
130. Buckland 1000-2000, A Village History, Dr Cuncan C Ferns.
131. Mark S Hagger, The Fortunes of a Norman family: The Verduns in England, ireland and Wales 1066-1316", Four Courts Press, 2001.
132. College of Arms, Royal Licences.
133. Dr F L Weis, The Magna Carta Sureties, 1215, Geneological Pub Co, 5th edn, 1999.
134. Anthony J Camp, My Ancestors came with the Conqueror, SoG, London, 1990, 2nd edn.
135. Morant, Havering.
136. Ogbourne, Havering.
137. Frank Barlow, Feudal Kingdom of England 1042-1216, Longman, 5th edn, 1999.
138. Hamiltons of Raploch, Diane Baptie, A private research paper, Jan 2002.
139. Ayr & Wigton Archaeological & Historical Collections, John Sheddon-Dobie, Ayr & Wigton Arch. Assn., 1884.
140. C T Clay, Early Yorkshire Charters, Yorks Arch. Soc.
141. The Kingsmill Records, Major W A Cook Kingsmill, Privately typed in 1949 (Excellent).
142. Tim Powys-Lybbe, Personal Knowledge.
143. Paul Theroux, Genealogical Tables.
144. S J O'Connor, A Calendar of the Cartularies of ... Adan Fraunceys, RHistS, London, 1993.
145. Paul Hughes, Alicia Resurgam, Kooringa Computing (01425 475886).
146. Geoffrey Pethick, His genealogical papers.
147. J A Venn, Alumni Cantabriensis, orig pub 1954, Ancestry.com CDROM.
148. London Metrolpolitan Archives.
149. Smyth, Lives of the Berkelelys, pub 1883 by Bristol etc Arch Soc.
150. Stuart Baldwin, The Henry Project, http://sbaldw.home.mindspring.com/hproject/.
151. Names of MPs, HMSO c.1880.
152. Joseph Foster, The Visitation of Yorkshire, Joseph Foster 1875, London.
153. John Lister MA, Halifax Antiquarian Society Papers, etc.
154. Robert Simeon, (Letter).
155. Debrett, Peerage & Baronetage 2002.
156. Monumental Inscription.
157. Stephen Powys Marks, "Family Research Papers," May 2002.
158. II: Domesday Descendants, K S B Keats-Rohan, Boydell Press, 2002.
159. I: Domesday People, K S B Keats-Rohan, Boydell Press, 1999.
160. June Roughley, The Simeon Saga, Privately, 2001.
161. Pigot Roll & Pedigree of 1598, Thomas Pigot, In Aylesbury PRO, No AR 18/99.
162. Dr George Lipscomb, History & Antiquities of Bucks, John Bowyer Nichols, 1831.
163. India records, British Library.
164. J Horace Round, Peerage and Family History, Clearfield, 1901; reprinted 1996.
165. "CP Corrections and additions," Chris Philips.
166. Bayne of Nidderdale, Joseph Lucas, Wm Harrison, Ripon, 1896.
167. Muriel Ferrand née Hallifax, Hallifax pedigree from 1804 to c. 1931.
168. William Copeland Borlase, MP, History of the Family of Borlase, Pollard, Exeter, 1888.
169. Rev Alfred C Beaven, Aldermen of the City of London, Fisher & Co, London 1913.
170. Harold Waring Atkinson, Atkinsons of Roxby & Dearman of Braithwaite, Privately in 1933.
171. Louise Staley, Yeo Ahentafel of 2001.
172. Burke, Colonial Gentry, London, 1891-5.
173. E F Smith, Clapham Antiquarian Soc. Occasional Sheets.
174. Lyon Register, Of the Court of the Lord Lyon, Edinburgh, (A Lyon Herald).
175. Brian Loomes, Yorkshire Clockmakers, Dalesman Books, 1972.
176. Historical Manuscripts Commission, HMSO.
177. J Horace Round, Geoffrey de Mandeville, Longmans Green, 1892.
178. Australian BMD Index and Registers.
179. Marriage Allegation, Vicar-General.
180. Daryl Coup, His Family History.
181. VCH, Victoria County Histories.
182. I J Sanders, English Baronies, OUP, 2nd ed, 1963.
183. Ronald Dunning, Researches into his family.
184. Commonwealth War Graves Commission, War Graves - www.cwgc.org.
185. William Addams Reitswiener, Royal Ancestries, Internet on AOL.
186. William Trotter, His family genealogy, (Handwritten notes).
187. "Extinct Baronets," Burke, 2nd edition, 1841.
193. Margaret McGregor (Ed), Bedfords Wills in PCC 1383-1548, Beds Record Soc.
197. "Commoners of Great Britain," Burke.
198. Rosie Bevan, Corrections to K-R's DP and DD, http://fmg.ac/Projects/Domesday.
199. Hallifax 18th cent papers, Suffolk Publi Record Office.
200. Officers of the Corps of Royal Engineers, 1660-1898, Capt T W Conolly, Royal Engineers Institute, 1898.
202. Boyd, Inhabitants of London, Held only by SOG, London.
203. Marriage Allegations of Bp of London, Col Chester, Ed Jo Foster, Quaritch, 1887.
204. Edward Hasted, History of Kent, 1797 on, in 10 Vols.
205. Prof John Ward, W B Ferrand, the Working Man's Friend., Tuckwell Press, 2002.
206. N. N., Liverpool as it was in last Qtr of 18th century".
207. Leo van de Pas, Genealogics Web Site, www.genealogics.org.
208. The Paston book of arms c. 1450; MSt Oxon thesis, Sebastion Nelson.
209. Rev Thos Whitaker, Deanery of Craven, Yorks, Joseph Hodgson, Leeds, 3rd Edn of 1878.
210. The Times Archives.
211. John Hutchins, History and Antiquities of Dorset.